Cumin-Scented Massaged Avocado & Kale Salad
This is my favorite salad. Period. I literally constantly crave this salad—probably more then any other meal. I eat it at least once a week. And when I am on a raw and vegan diet, massaged kale and avocado is my go to, favorite meal. It’s creamy, a little spicy, a tad sour and sweet with a nice substantial bite. It’s filling and you can eat heaps and heaps for about 300 calories. Score and score.
1lb kale (washed and dried)
1 medium avocado
1/2T ground cumin
1/2t red chili pepper flakes
6T nutritional yeast (optional)
1 lime juiced
1 tomato (sliced for garnish)
1. Tear the kale into bite-sized pieces into a large bowl.
2. With a spoon, scrape the avocado over the top of the kale. Add the remaining spices and the juice from the lime.
3. Take your time and massage everything together by squeezing, rubbing and scrunching the avocado, spices (and nutritional yeast, if using), lime juice and kale together for about two minutes (or until the kale wilts a bit and becomes a bit soft). This is one of those escapism kitchen moments… Squeezing the avocado through every bit of the kale is undoubtedly messy, but it conjures up feelings of being a kid again and enjoying the messy parts of life. Take these couple minutes to escape. Relish in the mess. And if you are one of those people who hate getting messy, think about all the great things you are doing for yourself and your body by making this dish. And relax!
4. Top with sliced tomatoes.
5. Feast and feel good about it.